What is PRP?
PRP stands for Plasma Rich Platelets.
For the treatment, our NP Gita, will draw blood from the patient and put it in a centrifuge machine. Essentially the machine is spinning the blood in order to separate the platelets from the blood. These platelets can be used for injections or as a mask for recovery from laser treatments. Injections in the face can help break down acne scars. When you get multiple treatments it will help minimize them. And PRP injected in the scalp can help with hair growth. PRP has enriched proteins that stimulate hair growth, break down acne scars, and help with recovery time from other treatments, like Microneedling. Results will vary from patient to patient, and multiple treatments will maximize results.
Pre and Post-Treatment for PRP Injections
A few simple guidelines before your treatment can make a difference.
- Discontinue use of anti-inflammatory drugs (steroidal and non-steroidal) such as: Aspirin, Motrin (or any other Ibuprofen drugs) at least 3 days to 1 week before your treatment.
- With PRP, we “want” inflammation. This is one of the mechanisms of how PRP does work.
- If you are or have been on Systemic use of Corticosteroids (steroids) within 2 weeks of treatment, we cannot treat you. Consult your physician for approval to discontinue use of steroids and receive treatment.
- Discontinue use of any other blood thinning agents such as: Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s and DHA’s) etc. at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising and bleeding.
- Avoid: Alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, spicy foods, and cigarettes 3 days before and after your treatment (All of these may increase risk of bruising).
- If you develop a fever, cold, flu, or develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, you must reschedule (we will not treat you).
- It is recommended, if you have a special event or vacation coming up that you schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance (we prefer 3-4).
- If you are being treated in the lip area and have a history of Herpes (cold sores) with outbreaks more than 4 times a year some practitioners recommended that you are pretreated with medication.
- We recommend Valtrex 500 mg twice a day, starting the day before and continue for 5 days.
POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
Please carefully read and follow these Instructions after your PRP treatment. There are minimal restrictions after your PRP injections allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately. It is normal to experience: Bruising, Redness, Itching, Soreness, and Swelling that may last from 3-10 days following your procedure.
- If you experience discomfort or pain you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen products.
- Maintain a healthy diet and drink at least 64 ounces of water the day of the treatment. Continue water intake the first week after.
- Do NOT touch, press, rub, or manipulate the treated area (s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment AVOID Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve (all non-steroidal a n d steroidal anti -inflammatory agents), Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days – 1week prior to and after your treatment.
- No washing, the area, or showering for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- Do not use any lotions, creams, or make-up for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 3 days after your treatment.
- Do not consume alcohol, caffeine, or cigarettes for 3 days before and after your treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer.