Many people have the habit of picking their skin, and working at Neu Look gave us the experience all those people and witness the consequence of their behavior. At Neu Look Med Spa we treat all types of acne and other skin conditions. We have a large variety of skin treatments that target anything from cystic acne to hyperpigmentaiton. In 2019 we are putting a focus on educating our current and new patients about skin health and how to prevent further impurities.
According to Psychology Today, “Excoriation disorder, or compulsive skin picking, dermatillomania is a psychological condition that manifests in the form of repetitive touching, scratching, picking, and digging at one’s own skin.” We are all guilty of this compulsive action at some point or another, but unfortunately it may cause deep scaring that will be difficult and expensive to correct many years later. Medical News Today warns us against crater scaring in an article explaining, “Pockmarks are deep scars on the skin that do not usually go away on their own. They are often caused by severe acne but can also be the result of skin infections or chickenpox.” In some cases scaring is inevitable but in most, the majority can be prevented by simply using the correct skin regimen proscribed by your provider and keeping your hands off your face!
Another factor in scaring is your skin type according to the Fitzpatrick Scale. It is a way to estimate how your skin tone or type can tolerate sun exposure and trauma. It is proven that darker skin tones (types 3-6) are more prone to a darkening of pigment rather than lighter skin tones (types 1-2) due to the excess of melanin in the skin. That being said, it is harder to safely laser skin types 3-6 if scaring occurs which limits your treatment options. The laser concentrates on darker pigmentation so the laser can focus on the blemish directly on people with a lighter skin tone. Gita (NP) at Neu Look Med Spa can always meet with you for a consultation to distinguish if your skin can be “prepped” with a brightening agent before your laser appointment if you are a darker skin type.
If you are a “picker” it is never too late to stop! Here are some tips on how to distract yourself from touching or picking a blemish:
- Do not over-examine yourself in the mirror and do not use the extra strength mirrors that show every impurity. If you cannot see it with the naked eye, neither can anyone else!
- If you catch yourself touching a blemish, stop immediately.
- If you feel as if you need to touch your face, if possible, try to cleanse or moisturize! Make it a productive touch instead or a harmful one.
- Have a friend or family member that you can tell when you feel the urge to hold you accountable whether it is with a phone call or in person.
- Keep a sticky note that says “Do not pick” on your mirror to remind you. It sounds silly but it works.
- Get regular skin treatments to improve your skin so there will not be as many impurities to tempt you!
Call Neu Look Med Spa at 858-538-5665 to ask about our free consultations or schedule one today. We also respond to emails at firstname.lastname@example.org to assist you.
Edited By Gita Izadi, Nurse Practitioner